Click here for the school diary.
Welcome to Beech and Rowan Base!
This week, we are:
- Learning about the process of evacuation and the impact it had on the lives of children in the Second World War.
- Polishing and publishing our secret war diaries.
- Developing our knowledge and understanding of division and the formal methods of solving problems.
- Beech Base will be heading out on their evacuation experience on Friday 22nd October.
To support us at home:
- Remember to read at least 3 times a week. Please ask your adult to sign your Reading Record. 3 Reads will be checked on Fridays.
- Talk to a family member about your diary. Who is your character? What is their experience of the war? What features of diary writing have you used?
- Practise your times tables on TTRS!
- Listen to and research the songs of Vera Lynn. What do you think of them? Why was her music important in the Second World War?
- Practise this week’s spellings in cursive handwriting: prefer, preferred, preferring, preference, confer, conference, conferring, defer, infer (Spellings will be updated on Thursdays) Can you create a dictionary definition page and put the words into sentences?
- You can let us know about your home learning on Seesaw – year 6 teachers will check Seesaw every Thursday.
Corum Life Education will be visiting Key Stage 2 to run workshops which will cover different aspects of our PSHE curriculum (Personal, Social, Health and Economic education). The date of Year 6 workshop is Thursday 14th October. Please see the attached letter for further details.
Year 6 Evacuation Trips
Information has been emailed out regarding our class evacuation experiences. Please read for information on costumes, lunches and plans for our days out. If your child does not wish to wear an evacuation costume then they must wear their school uniform.
Rowan's trip is Friday the 15th October and Beech's on Friday 22nd October.
- Beech Base's class assembly will take place on Friday 15th October at 9am in the school hall. We hope you can join us!
- Year 6 have weekly swimming sessions on Tuesday afternoons. Please ensure your child brings their swimming costume and towel in a bag. Goggles and hats are optional.
- Our PE day is a Thursday. Please send your child to school wearing their PE kit.
- Forest school will take place on Fridays. School uniform is to be worn with appropriate footwear and waterproofs to change in to.
Did you know that some families might be eligible to apply for the Healthy Start Scheme? With Healthy Start, you get free vouchers every week to spend on: milk; fresh, frozen and tinned fruit and vegetables; tinned and dried pulses and infant formula milk. You can also get free vitamins.
For the latest news, please remember to visit the News section of our website, where you will find term dates, the diary and newsletters.
Year 6 Photo Gallery
Hover over the photo for the caption and click on the photos to enlarge.